College Football is better than the NFL


Normal week during football season, Fridays are for high school to play and coach under the lights, Saturdays are for college football, and Sundays/Mondays are for the NFL. It’s the best time of year, nothing against college basketball or March madness, but I love football. And I think that college football is way better than the NFL. Yes, some out there think the NFL is the best because, well, it’s the best of the best athletes playing on the biggest stage. And when you are a diehard fan, that’s what you are going to watch. I am a Chicago Bears fan, so for me anyway, the past couple of years have been tough to watch and be a fan. But, college football just seems more exciting to me. And once I started coaching, I started to look at it much different than just a typical fan.


First off, to me, the NFL can be boring at times. I am not saying that I need to see a 40+ scoring game every single time or see a win by one-point game every single time. Yes, some times those defensive games are good games, just as a high scoring game is. But, it just seems every NFL team does the exact same thing as everyone else in the league does. You see the pro style offense for everyone. You see the same formations, same exact plays, almost same everything. Now, I know that some plays are different, some have different tweaks and this and that, but it all looks the same. Some teams in the NFL will do different things, like the Eagles this year had more play actions out of shot gun, or just a handful of RPO’s. And you will see the Patriots run more things out of the gun and will do more huddle from most, but for the most part it all is the same.

Because of that, it becomes very hard to watch just any NFL game they have on Sunday or Monday. I will watch the entire Chicago bears game, but that’s just because its my team. I find it hard to turn another game on and be able to sit there and watch the entire game. Or just flip through every game and just watch some of them. I know that most of the offenses and defenses I see are exactly what I just watched with the Chicago Bears. The only other game I know for a fact that I will watch the entire thing is the super bowl. Now, I am not saying that the NFL can’t have really good games or can’t be entertaining, but more often than not, it’s all the same.


In college football, there is way more divisions and more games that you can see. Since there is Division 1, 1aa, 2, 3, NAIA, and junior college, you get more options to see different kinds of games and different offense or defenses. Yes, college football teams do run different offenses from each other. You will see wing t teams, pro-style teams, veer teams, and different kind of spread teams. Yes, there are different ones, you see spread teams that want to run the ball. You see spread teams that want to pass the ball. You see spread teams that want to run just their quarterback and use a ton of RPO’s. While there are some teams that will run very similar offenses to each other, you will see differences.

Also, in college football, you see athletes that will play their hearts out almost every single play. Not every one of those athletes are going to go to the NFL, so they know this is probably their last years playing football, so they will give everything they got. You get a lot of underdog stories as well, more than the NFL. In the NFL, you have the best of best playing every Sunday and there isn’t a lot of true “underdog” stories. In college football, you get teams that will be in game that they shouldn’t, beat teams they shouldn’t, and just crazy games. And I don’t know about all of you, but I like to see the spread teams and the RPO’s in college. They are really fun to watch, they are fun to learn, and can be much better than watching the pro-style I formation all the time.


And, in my opinion, you see a lot more impact in college football from the coaches more than the NFL. Now, I am not saying that the NFL doesn’t have amazing coaches, they know a million times more than I probably ever will, I just think college coaches have a bigger impact. They are there to help mold a school and program, and they are that parent figure while those athletes are at school. For those who don’t go on to the NFL, they are there to help them finish school and go get a career. In the football games, you see more of the coaches actually plays they call be ran than the NFL. In the NFL, your quarterback is basically the offensive coordinator. And in college, you don’t get to talk to your quarterback or linebacker in their helmet. But, I can’t stress this enough, I am not saying there are not great coaches in the NFL because there is. I just think college coaches have a bigger impact on their team and program.

One thing I never understood is when people say that only great coaches are in the NFL since it is the best of the best. You see very good coaches in the college world. Even in division other than division 1, there are some amazing successful coaches. Just because they don’t go up a division from where they are at, or go be in the NFL, doesn’t mean that they don’t know football or don’t know how to coach. Most likely, they are just comfortable where they are at and love the town and school they are at. To me, there is nothing wrong with that. Just l like there are amazing coaches in high school that don’t move up to the college game because they enjoy the high school level or the school they are at.


These are why, to me, that college football is better than the NFL. Now, not to bash the NFL, because lets face it, football is football, and we all enjoy it and I know we are counting down until the game comes back!

Comments